ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] FOSDEM organisation

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] FOSDEM organisation
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 13:17:29 +0200

Hi Alex.

    OK, just checked the FOSDEM site and it seems the deadline for Devroom
    proposals is 15 September… So first of all, apologies for not getting my
    act together sooner. That being out of the way, do we have a template
    (maybe last year's?) that I could heavily lean on to submit for this
    year?

    I'm mostly angling for a response from you José, as if I remember
    correctly you coordinated last year's GNU devroom?

I coordinated the devroom two years ago.  This is what I sent as the
proposal:

- Devroom name.

  GNU.

- Devroom description:

  The GNU Project is a community of maintainers, developers, translators,
  webmasters and document writers whose first task is the development of
  the GNU Operating System.  The GNU Project maintains and develop more
  than 370 programs and libraries covering a broad set of applications,
  from system libraries and compilers to video games and desktop
  environments.

  We envision two primary goals in having a development room at FOSDEM.

  While the primary motivation for most of the people working in the GNU
  Project is philosophical (i.e. the ethical considerations that drive the
  Free Software movement) technical excellence is an important requirement
  in the maintenance of an operating system composed by hundreds of
  different packages.  GNU programs shall feature a high degree of
  cohesion in order to work properly.  The GNU Coding Standards and the
  GNU Maintainers Guide define some practices and guidelines that
  maintainers and developers should follow to achieve the needed level of
  integrity.  Many of those guidelines are implemented in the GNU
  infrastructure packages.  Packages like the autotools, gnulib or Guile
  fall in that category.  The first goal of the GNU devroom is to promote
  discussion on the advancement of both the guidelines and the packages
  implementing them.  Maintainers of some of the infrastructure packages
  are expected to attend the event and to organize activities in the
  devroom.

  The second goal is to strength the community of maintainers and
  developers.  Recent experiences in the organization of GNU Hackers
  Meeting (see the Related URLs for more information on the GHMs) proved
  that it is extremely useful and productive to get the hackers to meet in
  person.  Additionally, we aim to find hackers interested in joining us
  in the development of GNU.  They will be able to talk with experienced
  GNU maintainers and developers and get a good picture on how we work and
  organize.

- Related URLs

  GNU Project: http://www.gnu.org
  Last GNU Hacker Meeting: http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2010/denhaag/

- Responsible for the devroom

  + Name: Jose E. Marchesi
  + Email: jemarch at gnu.org

- Preferred day.

  No preference, but see the Comments/remarks.

- Comments/remarks.

  Some major GNU projects may have dedicated devrooms.  It would be
  interesting to schedule the GNU devroom in a way they don't collide.
  That would allow the maintainers and developers of these projects to
  contribute in the GNU devroom.