ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Keysigning?

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Keysigning?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 02:57:03 +0200

On 2013-08-21 at 02:12, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> Do we have to print some fingerprint and key id on some paper?

I was thinking that if we were only a few people and we all came with
laptops, even that wasn't necessary.  But you're right, let's do it the
right way without looking at each other's laptop display.

Does the output of
gpg -v --fingerprint user_ID
for each participant's user_ID suffice?  I think so.

OK; so I guess everybody interested should provide:
* name and surname
* all the email addresses used with the key
* the output of the command above
Everybody should print down a copy of this information (on a separate
paper) for each other participant.  Let's play it safe and assume we're
10.

Otherwise, you can all send your data to me, and I will print 10 copies
of a paper with everybody's data, to be distributed.  Yes, I guess it's
easier that way.  Let's do it like that.

Is this OK?  As you've already understood, I'm far from an expert.

So, the idea should be that everybody comes with an ID paper, and checks
that the others are not impostors.  When we're satisfied that everybody
is who she declares to be, we do the magic thing described here
https://wiki.debian.org/Keysigning to check the fingerprints of
everybody else's keys, verifying that the fingerprints are the same we
got on the printed paper.  For every successfully verified key, we sign
it and upload it to a server.  The steps starting from the magic one can
be performed either at the meeting, or later -- I'd like to do my part
at the meeting.

Does this seem right?  If so, please send me your data, and I'll prepare
papers for everybody.

Thanks,

--
Luca Saiu