ghm-discuss

[Ghm-discuss] VoIP software [Was: Re: Guile talks at the GNU Hackers Mee

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: [Ghm-discuss] VoIP software [Was: Re: Guile talks at the GNU Hackers Meeting?]
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:14:30 +0200

On 2013-06-25 at 21:56, Shane Celis wrote:

> Yes. This sounds like an excellent idea. I'm happy to record a talk
> and do the Q&A with an audio/video connection. Thank you for the
> opportunity.

It will be nice to have your talk.

People, what kind of software do you suggest for doing VoIP, possibly
with video?  We'll need to use that for Frankie as well.

My experience with Ekiga is quite negative, but I can usually make it
work *if* I'm not behind some ridiculous firewall; and occasionally
calls may only work in one direction.  I've had mixed success with
SFLphone.  The other candidate I know is Pidgin with audio XMPP, which I
don't think I've ever tried.  I've yet to test any VoIP software at the
venue but I will, probably next week.

However I don't trust any of these to work without having thoroughly
tested them first, speaking with our GHM speaker on the other side,
using the same network connection he'll be using during the meeting.

Do you have any other free VoIP software to recommend?

As an aside: once I even tried to concoct something simple by myself
using netcat and speex glued by a bash script, but the thing is less
trivial than it sounds.  In practice you ought to use a lossy protocol
otherwise network latency accumulates, and becomes intolerable.  I lost
interest at a certain point, however I'm sure that with some more
patience we could put together some simple utility.

Regards,

--
Luca Saiu
Home page:   http://ageinghacker.net