ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 11:59:21 -0400

   Well, it's not a joke, Neal.  And I'm not to be harsh or mean.  But
   GNU is incomplete without the HURD.  Linux works, but it's not GNU.
   It's GNU plus Linux, or GNU/Linux.

Linux doesn't have to be part of the GNU project to be part of the GNU
system; our goal was *never* to re-write free software; it was to
develop a entierly free UNIX-like operating system.  In that sense,
our goal is done.  But the threat of non-free software still looms,
take Linux as a prime example--it contains non-free blobs; so we now
have GNU Linux-Libre that removes those blobs.

Should we have a more powerful (software-wise) kernel? Maybe, maybe we
could add those features to Linux, maybe we could write another
kernel, or work more on the Hurd.  But that does not meaen that GNU is
somehow missing a key component to be considered `done'; we will be
done when there is no or little non-free software out there
subjugating our users.  Not sooner, not later.