ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Possible GHM in Brazil

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Possible GHM in Brazil
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:17:59 -0400

At Fri, 09 Apr 2010 19:14:13 -0300,
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva wrote:
> During LP2010 Brian and I have talked about promoting a GHM in Brazil.
> The immediate idea that came up from Alexandre Oliva (FSFLA) was to
> co-locate it with FISL, the biggest free software event in Brazil. It
> seems that the FISL organizers liked the idea to have a GHM + GNU track
> (specially if rms and the FSF can make it to the event again this year),
> although we still need to talk further about it.

Let me know as soon as you have confirmed dates so we can put them on
the GHM webpage.

> BTW, one central topic we might want to debate here is "how to attract
> more contributors to GNU?", since it has to do with the fact that Brazil
> is a good example in free software adoption (government, companies, user
> communities) but there are very few Brazilians acting as free software
> developers.

I think that is a important topic, but I don't have any answers!

My experience is that personal connections are the initial starting
point for new projects, e.g. people working at the same organisation.
I thought your idea of encouraging free software groups at
universities was a good one.  If the project is already well
established, it's easier for someone to join "from the internet".

--
Brian Gough