gforth

Re: Why hasn't gforth made it to 1.0 ... yet?

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: Why hasn't gforth made it to 1.0 ... yet?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 16:31:11 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 02:41:51AM -0400, John Chludzinski wrote:
> I just installed it on Raspbian-64 and got:
>

> *jski@raspberrypi ~> gforth --versiongforth 0.7.3*
>
> Gforth is what 20 years old?

In July it will be 30 years since we started the project.

If your question is: Why are we numbering Gforth the way we are:
gforth-0.7 did not have the features we wanted for 1.0.

If your question is: Why is Gforth-1.0 (which is the next version) not
out yet, the answer ist: Mostly because I have not found the time to
complete the documentation.  If you want Gforth-1.0 that's not fully
documented, the current snapshots (Bernd Paysan posted a way to get
them) are pretty close to the what 1.0 will be.

- anton