gforth

Re: Immersion

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: Immersion
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 20:59:48 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 02:26:57PM -0400, Brian Tiffin wrote:
> Drop after-l.  Don't wait for the next key
> stroke to decide what state to put the console in.  It becomes a mental
> mode breaking point, with a distracting screen paint out of order.

There is some truth to that.  However, we actually want to extend the
AFTER-L functionality: After a WHERE and a WW, NW, BW, or a backtrace
and TT, NT, BT, cursor-left/cursor-righ should switch from one result
to the next.

> Personally, I'd drop right to console mode, (where up/down arrow is
> history recall, not a new mental mode of scrolling text) and let
> programmers two-type the b<ret> and n<ret>.  The flash from source view
> to normal console with the stack status blue bar, is distracting.
>
> Just a suggestion.  Probably a thing that will sink into muscle memory,

Has not happened for me yet.

I am open to alternatives.  Maybe we could make the after-l state look
as if we are back in the text interpreter, and use some keys that are
not normally used at an empty line in the text interpreter instead of
the cursor-up/down keys.  Or equivalently, let the interpreter's
EDIT-LINE do the AFTER-L functionality if one of the right keys are
pressed.

- anton