gforth

Re: [gforth] Inclusion of minimal-forth code in gforth

From: Ethan A. Gardener
Subject: Re: [gforth] Inclusion of minimal-forth code in gforth
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 17:12:11 +0100

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018, at 7:55 PM, Josh Grams wrote:
> On 2018-04-27 09:04PM, Carsten Strotmann wrote:
> >gforth is powerful. having the minimal forth wordlist code shipped with
> >gforth would make it easier for beginners to start learning forth with
> >gforth and staying with gforth while they become masters in forth.
>
> I don't see that it makes much difference.  If you don't tell beginners
> about WORDS then they'll never even know.  And I don't recall using
> WORDS when I was learning Forth, either in minimal systems or in big
> ones like gforth, except as a "wow, look at all the stuff that's here"
> sort of thing.

Indeed. I've been confused by the feature bloat of so much software
over the years, but with Forth, I'm getting on fine with ANS Forth
systems and the Forth Programmer's Handbook. Gforth's manual is
a little bit too big and abstruse for me, but it's useful on the rare
occasions when FPH is too terse or a little vague. I realise FPH
isn't FOSS as such, but it is included with free evaluation copies
of Swift Forth.

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer