gforth

Re: [gforth] Text Editors-Android

From: James Gere
Subject: Re: [gforth] Text Editors-Android
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 00:44:33 -0400

123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
     Hi Joel,
                    Dennis Ruffer's method works well for tethered development.
You can literally choose almost any editor.  Though setting up  to work inside
the sdk may be more difficult.
     If you want to untie the Android, it depends on your hardware and
environment.
     I have a 4" phone running 5.0 and the Gforth App where I use the '920
Text Editor' app and 'Xplore' for file management.  920 is an open source
almost-clone of 'DroidEdit.'  ( I think the original predates DroidEdit .)
It was a good choice for it's small size and broad functionality, but
occasionally it needs some bugs shaken out.  It does have the unique feature
of forth-syntax highlighting, though I don't know how to make this default.
     I also have 2 RCA tablets ( a 10" and an 8" ) running 5.0, both with
keyboards.   On the larger, I have the Gforth app and usually edit with
DroidEdit, 920 or a Vim stand-alone ( in that order of preference ) as the
Android EMacs stand-alone app has always had major problems just
installing.
     There is another version of Gforth ( 0.7.5.--arm el) that runs under the
Debian NoRoot app, a cheroot version of Linux. ( There are others.)  Here,
since one is running a reasonably full version of Linux, we can choose
whatever the repository offers, including eMacs.  The real problem is that
the 0.7.5  Gforth version is better suited to embedded controlers and
gives a much different experience than Gforth on a full Linux machine or via
the Android app, so expect to relearn some stuff.
     Overall, for 'native' Android Gforth editing I choose the DroidEdit paid app,
but with some gripes ( not all directed at the program )--If you want to hear
me cranky.