gforth

Re: [gforth] Just curious

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] Just curious
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 23:30:38 +0200

Am Montag, 4. Juli 2016, 09:45:21 CEST schrieb Mario Beaulieu:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious. Why does GForth have a version number 0.7.3 and not
> 1.something? It seems to me that GForth is stable and very complete. Do you
> have an objective in mind to achieve before you consider it version 1?

No, we consider Gforth as stable and complete, despite it is still in active
development, and gets more features as we go (the current development will
lead to release 0.8.0).  But the 0.x does not mean we consider it not ready
for use.  We had 0.1beta as beta release ~20 years ago, and from 0.2 on, it
was a "production release".  A number of other GNU projects also use this
number scheme.  A number of users leave the leading zero away and call the
current stable version "Gforth 7".  We are not in the business of big version
numbers, though, and despite we release development snapshots frequently, we
do full releases infrequently.  Consider an official minor release like 0.7.x a
LTS version, which only gets a few patches when a new GCC version breaks it.

We still have plans, and are working, so Gforth is not "completed" in a sense
of "we are done with it, move to something else".  The bigger plans are to
write our own native code compiler.

--
Bernd Paysan
net2o ID: kQusJzA;address@hidden(dQ*