gforth

Re: [gforth] A single-board computer with Gforth support?

From: Carsten Strotmann
Subject: Re: [gforth] A single-board computer with Gforth support?
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 10:19:58 +0200

Koz Ross writes:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Thanks for the fast response!
>
>> And then there is Gforth-ec, the embedded version of gforth, which
>> supports many processor types and can run on bare hardware (without an
>> OS). To use gforth-ec, you usually need to write some kind of
>> initialization code for your board.
>
> This intrigues me - it's a very Forthy-sounding thing to run a board
> with no OS and just Forth! Is Gforth-ec described in the manual
> somewhere?

Chapter 15 'cross-compiler' has a beginning of a documentation, but it
is nowhere complete (volunteers needed).

Also be aware that some of the cross-compiler targets have been
unmaintained for a while and might not compile anymore.

> If so, what kind of board do you think would be an easy
> target for a beginner like me to write this initialization code? I know
> some C, but I've never attempted something like this before.

It is difficult to recommend  an "easy" target, because what is "easy"
in this context depends on your familiarity with the processor
architecture.

Me, being a retro-computer coder, would choose a 6502, m68k or 8086
board, as I know these processors and architectures.

For you, the R8C might be a target -->
http://www.forth-ev.de/wiki/doku.php/projects:r8c:r8c_forth_en

I would do the first steps on a simulator running on a PC (Linux etc,
like qemu-m68k or qemu-misp, or http://i8086emu.sourceforge.net/) to
learn the first steps, as that is usually easier than to always flash
real hardware and debug there.

Carsten