gforth

Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/shar

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: [gforth] After updating to Emacs 24.3, "Source file `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list/gforth.el' newer than byte-compiled file"
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:25:14 +0100

> Apologies for the totally newbie question that touches gforth but
> isn't necessarily gforth specific.

> I have recently updated my Emacs setup to Emacs 24.3 on Ubuntu 12.4.
[..]
> Now, in Emacs, after invoking `M-x run-forth' the following appears in
> the Emacs minibuffer:

> "Source file `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-list/gforth.el' newer than
> byte-compiled file"

Can you check and report file&date on all copies of gforth.el and
gforth.elc existing on your system (try 'locate gforth.el*')?

Do you still have a Ubuntu package installed that provides gforth.el?
I'd guess it automatically recompiles gforth.elc when the Ubuntu Emacs
package is upgraded.  Although that won't explain the warning you see.

To get an up-to-date version of gforth.elc matching the gforth.el that
came with your Gforth 7.2 source package, try doing a 'make clean &&
make && sudo make install' in the Gforth sources.  Does that fix the
problem?

Using a .elc file across different versions of Emacs sounds like a bad
idea anyways.  Maybe we should change Gforth to only install the .el
file to allow Emacs upgrades to be performed without side-effects?

David
--
GnuPG public key: http://dvdkhlng.users.sourceforge.net/dk2.gpg
Fingerprint: B63B 6AF2 4EEB F033 46F7  7F1D 935E 6F08 E457 205F