gforth

Re: [gforth] anonymous inline word definitions

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] anonymous inline word definitions
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 01:16:19 +0100

Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2012, 18:30:46 schrieb John Earnest:
> Howdy folks,
>
> Factor, PostScript and a few other stack-oriented languages have literal
> syntax for blocks of code- Factor calls these "quotations". I've been
> puzzling over how I might go about building a similar facility in GForth.

Just look at the file quotations.fs in the development version, it's already
implemented ;-).  There has been some discussion about the name, and as { }
are already used for locals, we ended up with [: and ;] to start and end
quotations.

http://git.bernd-paysan.de/?p=gforth.git;a=blob;f=quotations.fs

It's slightly more work, as we want to have a separate locals scope inside the
quotation - we can't access the outer locals, as we don't know when the
quotation is executed.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/