gforth

Re: [gforth] How to make executable binary applications?

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: [gforth] How to make executable binary applications?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:10:30 +0100

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 10:29:37AM +0100, David Kuehling wrote:
> > The process: I make an image of the sources using 'cross'.  I put the
> > image (with no source) on a CD along with Gforth binaries and a GPL
> > copyright text.  I sell the CD at price X.
>
> This could work under the "boundle" software shipping interpretation of
> the GPL.

As the FSF sees it, this does not satisfy the "mere aggregation"
paragraph of the GPL.  After all, the image is made to work with the
engine.

> Are you sure you don't want to just put your software in source code
> form onto the CD, and run it from source code?  Forth code without
> comments will be sufficiently obfuscated anyways :)

Note that, if the Forth source code is Gforth-specific, that's not a
mere aggregation, either, so the "source code" would have to be
distributed under the GPL; and if the real source code contains
comments, it would have to be provided, too.  The planned exception is
to allow distribution of Gforth-specific source code under any
license.

- anton