Re: Using Getfem for a flash-butt welding simulation

From: Lorenzo Ferro
Subject: Re: Using Getfem for a flash-butt welding simulation
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:56:55 +0200

Dear Yves,

Thank you for your reply, thanks to which  I’ve started studying the tutorials,
and I’ve a question related to the Thermo-elastic and electrical coupling
example.

Looking at the python file I can read that the convection coefficient D is
applied to all the surfaces  except the holes and the left surface (in my
opinion it is not applied to the right surface too, can you confirm?).

Then I see that Fourier_Robin_brick and source_term_brick are used to impose
the convection condition the Top and Bottom edges.
I suppose that the equation to be included is something like q” = D*(Tair-T) =
k*grad(T).n => grad(T).n + D/k*T = D/k*Tair

The left side term is supposed to be assembled via the Fourier_Robin_brick
whereas the right side term via the source_term_brick.

Questions:

1) Looking at the python file I see that you calculate D/epsilon and
D*Tamb/epsilon where epsilon is the plate thickness. Is this an error and we
should replace epsilon with k?

2) Does the Fourier_Robin_brick work only on the stiffness matrix?

I’m asking because the usage of these bricks, their convection equations and
relevant assembly, are not mentioned/explained in the tutorial.

Thank you very much.
Lorenzo