Re: [Getfem-users] Lineic boundary conditions

From: Renard Yves
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Lineic boundary conditions
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:09:49 +0200

Dear Jean-Francois,

Yes, the problem is that integration method in getfem are defined on the element and the boundary of the element not in n-2 dimension structures. If you have a mean to define an integration method on this polyline, then you can assemble your Neumann term. But the only mean, for the moment, to define a 1D integration method on a 3D domain is to define some 1D elements. The problem if you do so is that this integration method will only be defined on the 1D elements, not a the 3D elements on which you want to integrate. So, I think, the only mean which exists right now is to use an interpolation of the 3D fem on the 1D elements and assemble the term. (see interpolation of a fem) It is rather tricky for such a simple operation, but I do not see another
"simple" possibility.

For Dirichlet condition, you can indeed use add_explicit_matrix to add a constraint on certain nodes or add a constraint brick. For non Lagrange element, you can use
the previous strategy to build the constraint matrix, I think.

Yves.

Jean-Francois Barthelemy <address@hidden> a écrit :

Dear Getfem users,

Is there any simple way in Getfem to impose lineic boundary conditions on a
3D problem ?
To be more precise, I have a 3D mesh and I want to impose either Dirichlet
or Neumann boundary conditions on a polyline. The first problem that arises
is that, if I'm not wrong, the mesh_regions in 3D can be either volumes
(convexes) or surfaces (convexe faces) but not 1D elements. However, as I
can gather all the dof corresponding to the polyline, Dirichlet conditions
can rather easily be handled by add_explicit_matrix and add_explicit_rhs
methods. But the case of Neumann conditions may be a bit more difficult. Is
there any straightforward method to do so ?
Thank you very much

Jean-Francois Barthelemy