[Getfem-users] combining 2D and 1D elements]

From: Till Heinemann
Subject: [Getfem-users] combining 2D and 1D elements]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:32:39 +0100

Hello!

I'm pretty new to this library and I would like to do the following:
Implement a 2D domain (mesh) with standard lagrange elements plus 1D
lagrange (with bubble function) elements on this domain's boundary!

Could I somehow do this on one mesh (compiler says no),

Incompatibility between fem FEM_PK_WITH_CUBIC_BUBBLE(1,1) and mesh
element GT_LINEAR_QK(2)

and if not, is there later for the assembly of the system description an
easy way to know which node-dofs interface at the same spacial position
(i.e. without looping twice and checking their positions / thus writing
a connection table of some sort)? I mean, the elements need to know that
they have an existing neighbor (on a different mesh).
Also, I don't see yet how to write a mesh from a mesh_region (i.e.
boundary), but I'm sure I'll figure that out sooner or later.

Now I thought there must be a standardized way for this, as I read in
http://download.gna.org/getfem/doc/getfem_project/getfem_project_5.html#id9
connecting neighboring elements of different dimensions is already
implemented?

Thank you for any suggestions on which methods or types that might help
me,

best regards
Till