geiser-users

Re: edit-symbol-at-point ( M-. ) not working for me in guile, but only i

From: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: edit-symbol-at-point ( M-. ) not working for me in guile, but only in gauche
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 01:52:31 +0100

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Aug 16 2022, Andreas Reuleaux wrote:

[...]

> I compile buffers with C-k

I guess you mean C-c C-k here...

[...]

> The problem is: this works for me only in gauche - not in geiser guile:
>
> Any time I do M-. on some symbol (function name etc.) in guile files, I only
> get to see

> Symbol not found (...)
>
> there are a thousand things yet to learn for me about geiser, but I would
> like to have
> this basic M-. working in geiser guile first.

That should work without problems provided you're using modules in the
usual way (it'd also work without, but there're some caveats).  So, if
you have a file foo.scm looking like, say:

(define-module (foo))

(define foo-val 42)

(define (foo) foo-val)

and put your cursor, after C-c C-k (and with a running guile REPL), on
foo-val in the last line and press M-., don't you go to foo-val in line
3?

That said, many of the guile built-in's are implemented in C (you'll now
because their module is just (guile)), so trying to go to their
definition won't work.  Maybe that's what's happening to you?

Cheers,
jao
--
What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness.
  -Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)