geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Geiser and MIT/GNU Scheme

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Geiser and MIT/GNU Scheme
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 07:29:58 +0200

Hello Jose!

> I'll second this: Peter, we usually exchange pull requests and comments
> on issues on Github. But, if you don't like Github, that's fine too, the
> main repo of Geiser is actually
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/geiser.git and we can exchange patches
> in this list.  We also have mirrors in gitlab and other places, so we
> can use any other interface of your choice.

Github's fine, I just noticed it was a few days behind the nongnu git,
but as my patch mostly just adds new files, that shouldn't be a problem.

> Seconded.  MIT/GNU Scheme is close to my heart (and to Geiser's too :)),
> but i wasn't really sure it provided all that was needed to integrate
> well with Geiser's modus operandi.

I'm mostly basing this on the fun I had poking around with the swank
server. There's a lot more that could be done, but some things are hard.

For example, I have no idea how to do the following:
- find out the source form of macros (define-syntax foo <this-part>)
- find the source file for non-compiled code (even for compiled code,
  I'm just assuming the source file is in the same place as the
  debugging information)
- support the debugger (when entering the debugger, geiser would have to
  not send *any* commands until the debugger is exited, the reader for
  the debugger mostly accepts single keypresses)

So this is a first step, but not really full support :-/ But as this is
my main Scheme, I'm willing to work on it until we get as far as we can
:)

Thanks for your help, greetings!

Peter