geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] xscheme

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] xscheme
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:37:19 +0200

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 13 2015, Federico Beffa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I believe that Geiser is interfering with Emacs' own 'xscheme'
>> library. If I execute
>>
>> (require 'xscheme)
>>
>> then the command 'run-scheme' starts my MIT Scheme interpreter in a
>> '*scheme*' buffer. However, if I also
>>
>> (require 'geiser-install)
>>
>> then the command 'run-scheme' changes behavior. In particular it asks
>> me to choose scheme implementation, but it doesn't allow me to choose
>> the MIT scheme.
>
> Geiser does not redefine 'run-scheme', and i cannot reproduce the error
> you describe here.  The functions defined by geiser are 'run-geiser',
> 'run-guile', 'run-chicken' and 'run-racket'.

I know, and in fact C-h f run-scheme shows that the function doesn't
belong to Geise even after loading it.
But I've got the impression that Geiser modifies some underlying
functionality used by 'xscheme'.

> What version of geiser are you using? How did you install it?

I'm using version 0.7 with emacs 24.5.1. I did install both of them
with the functional package manager guix
http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

> Are you able to reproduce it starting from 'emacs -q' and loading only
> geiser?

Yes, I can reproduce it with 'emacs -Q':

1) In '*scratch*' execute: (require 'xscheme)

2) M-x run-scheme -> everything works fine.

3) Kill the MIT scheme process and the '*scheme*' buffer.

4) In '*scratch*' execure:
  (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/beffa/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp")
  (require 'geiser-install)

5) M-x run-scheme -> I'm asked about the scheme implementation to use.
The only allowed choices are: guile racket and chicken.

Regards,
Fede