geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Problem with prompt at history item

From: Hamish Ivey-Law
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Problem with prompt at history item
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 15:43:56 +0100

Hi jao,

On 2014-12-31 at 04:44 GMT+0100, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The problem is not only yours: i can easily reproduce it here.  For some
> reason i have yet to understand (and fix), entries in the comint history
> ring get decorated with the "field" text property, and that's confusing
> FORWARD-WORD.
>
> Although that command is a bit flaky in general for navigating sexps
> (i'd suggest to use FORWARD-SEXP instead, bound by default to C-M-f),
> you have the right to expect it to not get stuck like this :) As a
> temporary workaround, you can try to set the variable
> inhibit-field-text-motion to t locally in REPL buffers.  Something like
>
>   (add-hook 'geiser-repl-mode-hook
>             (lambda () (set (make-local-variable 'inhibit-field-text-motion)
> t)))
>
> should do the job while a find a better fix.

Thanks heaps!  I think the right solution is to retrain my muscle memory
to use C-M-f instead of M-f in this situation.  I saw
INHIBIT-FIELD-TEXT-MOTION mentioned in the doc for FORWARD-WORD but the
symbol didn't exist and I didn't realise that I was supposed to intern
it myself.  Anyway, two solutions are better than none.

Cheers,
Hamish.