geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] issues with unicode

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] issues with unicode
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:42:12 +0200

Hi Darren,

On Sun, Jun 16 2013, Darren Hoo wrote:

> Emacs started by launched on Mac OSX (eg, click the Emacs icon on the
> dock) does not set locales correctly according to user's current locale
> setting, ie, locales falls back to POSIX or C.
>
> This causes Guile started by geiser switch to POSIX too, because the coding
> system (encoding and decoding) of the guile process is set to
> (iso-latin-1 . iso-latin-1)  according to `default-process-coding-system'
> which I think is guessed from locale setting.
>
> This is annoying because if there are unicode strings in the code or
> repl, things stop working.  I know it is the locale setting that
> should be blamed, I wonder if it is safe to force the communication
> between geiser and guile to use UTF-8 regardless of the locale
> setting, ie setting the process coding system to (? . utf-8).

I'm not sure.  What if the guile process doesn't use utf-8? Do you know
if it's possible to compile guile without utf-8 support?

> That being said, I think when geiser is talking to a remote Guile, it
> should definitely use UTF-8, on the emacs side setting the process code
> system to utf8 and on the Guile side:

What if emacs has been started, on purpose, using, say iso-latin-1 as
its default encoding? Are we guaranteed that this will work?

>    (set-port-encoding! (current-input-port) "UTF-8")
>    (set-port-encoding! (current-output-port) "UTF-8")
>    (set-port-encoding! (current-error-port) "UTF-8")

Aren't those the defaults anyway?

Cheers,
jao
--
It is not how old you are, but how you are old.
  - Jules Renard, writer (1864-1910)