geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Racket-git breaks requiring racket/slideshow

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Racket-git breaks requiring racket/slideshow
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 05:00:44 +0200

Hi again,

On Wed, Aug 29 2012, Michael Wilber wrote:

> Hey, geiser users!
>
> So in racket from git and latest geiser from git, when I require
> slideshow/pict from geiser (or indirectly by enter!-ing a file that
> requires slideshow/pict), it fails:
>
> Welcome to Racket v5.3.0.14.
> racket@> (require slideshow/pict)
> define-values: assignment disallowed;
>  cannot re-define a constant
>   constant: invoke-unit/core
>   in module: "/home/michael/racket/collects/racket/unit.rkt"
>   errortrace...:
>
> /home/michael/.emacs.d/vendor/geiser/scheme/racket/geiser/enter.rkt:146:10:
> (eval code)
> racket@>

I've been playing a bit with this.

The bad news is that i hadn't realized that Racket's
current-load/use-compiled is not exported and i cannot call it directly
(that explains why my own version).

The not so bad news is that the problem is actually in Racket, not in
Geiser.  If i try Racket's enter! in a vanilla racket session i get:

$ ./racket
Welcome to Racket v5.3.0.21.
> (enter! slideshow/pict)
define-values: assignment disallowed;
 cannot re-define a constant
  constant: invoke-unit/core
  in module: "/home/jao/src/racket/collects/racket/unit.rkt"

So it's also a problem with current-load/use-compiled (as to why in
Geiser a require uses also the latter, it's because Geiser needs to keep
track of all modules as they're loaded, and i didn't find any hook to
get notified of those events...).

Cheers,
jao
--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple,
and wrong. —Henry Mencken