geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Bug!

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Bug!
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 01:23:33 +0100

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Feb 05 2012, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

> ;; commit f3c6c8d
> ;; Author: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz <address@hidden>
> ;; Date:   Fri Nov 25 23:12:35 2011
> ;;
> ;;     NEWS update and version bump to 0.1.4
> ;;
>
> ;; GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.2.0, NS
> apple-appkit-1138.23) of 2012-01-20 on
> Eric-Hanchrows-MacBook-Air.local
>
> ;; Start geiser.  Visit this file, type C-c C-a.  Then in the repl
> ;; prompt type (x) RET, then wait a second.
>
> ;; I see
>
> ;; address@hidden> (x)
> ;; #<thread>
> ;; address@hidden> cpu time: 0 real time: 1002 gc time: 0
>
> ;; Now when I type anything, I get an error: "Text is read-only"
>
> #lang racket
>
> (define (x)
>   (thread
>    (thunk
>     (time (sleep 1)))))

Yes, this is a problem in Geiser.  What's happening, as you already
know, is that the asynchronoulsy produced output is confusing comint
mode, which always looks for a prompt to know its ready to receive
output.

The right fix involves some cleverness as to capturing asynchronous
output that i'm hoping i'll eventually figure out... in the meantime, i
can offer two workarounds:

- 'M-x comint-kill-region' should unlock the REPL in that situation

- Customize geiser-repl-read-only-prompt-p to nil... that will make the
  prompt deletable, and this problem won't arise

I just prefer a read-only prompt and that's why i set the latter to t by
default, but perhaps that wasn't the best decision.

HTH,
jao
--
You err by thinking simplicity and elegance are mostly
cosmetic.  Simplicity and elegance are overwhelmingly