geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Minor spelling/grammar errors in Geiser's documentati

From: Mark Harig
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Minor spelling/grammar errors in Geiser's documentation
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:48:56 -0500

"lookup" means "the act of _electronic_ information retrieval",
which
seems the right term here.

Whenever possible, I went with a standard English.  ispell doesn't
recognize the word "lookup."  Likewise, people commonly say "a
printout", when "a printed copy" would be more standard (less jargon
to learn).

Weeell, the definition above is from the Oxford English Dictionary, so
i'd argue that it counts as "standard English".

Related to that, i've maintained "metadata" (in lieu of your suggested
meta-data) since it also appears in the OED and i like it better.

I defer to the OED.  Unfortunately, ispell does not agree, although I
wish it did.  My preference would be to pass a document through ispell
and correct all misspellings that it flagged (with the exception of
jargon terms such as REPL and Elisp, which could be put into a
personal dictionary).  The more exceptions that there are, the more
useless that ispell (and flyspell) becomes.