gdb

gdb - slow - stalls

From: Guray Acar
Subject: gdb - slow - stalls
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 03:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

This has to do with gdb slowing down while debugging C++ code with
KDevelop. I am NOT talking about shared libraries or function calls etc.
It's a lot simpler than that. Debugging session starts all too well. No
problems. Stepping in/out of function. All smooth.
After a while, it is almost as if "the debugger gets tired", and gdb starts
spending as long as tens of minutes for statements as simple as
incrementing an integer variable or breaking out of a switch statement.

I look at cpu usage via linux top command. GDB seems to be making full (95%
to 100%) use of the CPU during this time.

I cannot reproduce the error. I used to use KDevelop-3.3.3 over KDE 3.5.3
with FC4 Red Hat. I never experienced this problem.
Now, I am using the configuration below. The problem always shows up after
a while. Can't guess when, but it does show up
I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem.

-----
OpenSUSE 11.2 (i586), Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2, i686 i686 i386
gcc version 4.4.1
KDevelop 3.5.5 using KDE 3.5.10 "release 32" openSUSE
GDB SUSE (6.8.91.200909030-2.4)
RAM 1GB
CPU Intel 3.28 GHz
-----