gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 22:30:20 +0200

Hi Ken,

Am Mon, 05 Oct 2020 00:29:54 +0000 schrieb kht-lists via gcmd-devel:

> I guess I get to answer my own question :-)  It seems that AUR (Arch
> User Repo) is open to anyone. An individual by the screen name of
> City-busz put Gnome-commander in AUR and "haawda" last updated the
> package. He did make the comment  "Orphaning, I want to get rid of
> gnome-vfs (and yes, it is needed)." We know about that concern. That
> said...
>
> When I inquired on the Manjaro forum I learned that I could
> build/instal gnome-vfs from AUR (even though I could not find it with
> a search.) I did this and then ran "pamac build gnome-commander" The
> source code was cloned from git and gnome-commander was built and is
> running fine!!!  I am a happy camper.
>
> In the discussion on the forum it was pointed out to me that
> gnome-commander has a dependency on python2 which went EOL at the end
> of 2019 I am told. I have not yet looked but if there is python code
> in gnome-commander could it be made python3 compatible if it is not
> already? The dependency could then be updated to python3. Another
> step into the future.

Python support and dependencies have been droped from gcmd in version
1.8.1. You should not need any python dependency anymore since that
version. I am not aware that I missed any dependency, which could be of
course. In this case we would have a bug. Did the person from the
Manjaro forum pointed out where that dependency is located?

Best regards
Uwe