gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] my wee idea: Directory sizes (space used within)

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] my wee idea: Directory sizes (space used within)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:40:11 +0100

Although i admit that as an option it could be useful, i still would never
activate such a feature, and for a simple reason. The folders i work in usually
have up to 20 levels in depth, with hundreds of branches and sometimes many
thousand files in each main branch.

Monitoring this is not the problem. The harddisk controller and the filesystem
kernel driver already do it. The problem would be to to show this data to the
user, in a GUI. The communication between the GUI (in this case, FAM or gcmd)
and the kernel, and the display updates, would simply knock out my machine.

Pete,

> > I just never mention that I used it on a 14MhZ computer twenty years ago!..

If you plugged one of my harddisks into your Amiga, with that feature active, i
promise you it enters nirvana in a half a second.

And i already outsourced caches like google earth or firefox to RAM, and
deactivated any thumbnailing. I am talking just about my personal files.

Piotr,

> Not sure if I grok you properly... gcmd already has support for
> calculation of dir sizes - just use SPACE over the given dir

He, you did not tell us this shortcut before !!

(I start to wonder about possible easter eggs now)