gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Feature request

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Feature request
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 23:29:43 +0100

> I am looking into writing a topic for the new features for the help.

> There is some missing functionality in the tab opening/behaviour.

> When right clicking a folder there is no option to open in a new tab;
> either in current or other pane.

This is a good idea - I'll add an option for a new tab to the context
menu.

> Is it possible to add a Shift double click feature as well that would
> open the folder in a new tab?

Why SHIFT + double click? This method works neither in Nautilus nor
Firefox... IMO the consistency with common paradigms is very important.
gcmd uses CTRL+click or mid-click for opening new tab wherever possible
(dir indicator, drive buttons, history or bookmarks). Additionally
mid-click closes the tab (when clicked on it) or open new tab (when
clicked in empty space behind the tabs).

It'd be ideally to open dir in a new tab using CTRL+click or mid-click,
but unfortunately the first one is reserved for selection and the latter
- for 'cd ..'

> The open in new tab feature behaviour is odd:
> if you select a folder and press Ctrl+T (or use the menu) it should open
> the selected folder in a new tab currently it opens the current
> directory.

This is by design for keeping consistency with Nautilus. CTRL+T duplicates the
current location (not selected dir) in a new tab.

The requested functionality is accessible via CTRL+UP (new tab in the
current pane) or CTRL+SHIFT+UP (new tab in the inactive pane)

Hope it'll help,

Piotr