gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Treeview : GnomeVFS / GIO bugs

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Treeview : GnomeVFS / GIO bugs
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:29:55 +0100

> If GnomeVFS and / or GIO do have bugs, that make gcmd unusable in some
> Linux distros
> ( for me it is Debian lenny with libgio-2.0:0.22 and libgnomevfs-2:0.22
> ), what is
> the good choice / policy ?
>
> - try to upgrade the bugged libs, making gcmd not compatible
> with some distros
>
> - reduce functionalities

I don't think it's possible to make gcmd compatible with all distros. If
your changes imposes some requirements on libs - you have to specify
them in configure.in. The current values are:

        dnl ===================
        dnl Check for libraries
        dnl ===================

        GLIB_REQ=2.6.0
        GMODULE_REQ=2.0.0
        GTK_REQ=2.8.0
        GNOME_REQ=2.0.0
        GNOMEUI_REQ=2.4.0
        GNOMEVFS_REQ=2.0.0
        UNIQUE_REQ=0.9.3
        PYTHON_REQ=2.5
        EXIV2_REQ=0.14
        TAGLIB_REQ=1.4
        LIBGSF_REQ=1.12.0
        POPPLER_REQ=0.6

If, for some reasons, you don't want set your requirements too high, the
only way for coping with non-existent features or bugs is to use
conditional compilation like:

        #if GLIB_CHECK_VERSION (2, 14, 0)
        // ...
        #else