gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Optimizing speed and responsiveness

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Optimizing speed and responsiveness
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:11:37 +0100

> After so many bugfixes and improvements, and also gtk evolution, it appears
> as if runtime optimizing has gotten out of sight a bit, at least it is my
> impression that sometimes gcmd is responding slowly. I say this because
> fast-reacting was always one of the advantages of smart two-pane filemanagers
> above the common bloated ones. Basically, i agree this is no priority; i just
> want to catch the issues somewhere.

Not so much ;o) Most fixes and improvements do not touch the code
responsible for performance. And quite contrary there has been a few
fixes reducing the overhead and optimizing the code.

I may only guess, that slowdown I report is caused by the bloat in GTK+
libs..

> Here is #1:

> It looks like a cd .. in one pane does update the other pane too. It's
> twitching and jerking, you can see it with large directories. I just wonder
> if it is really necessary, as it slows down responsiveness.

This is the one that annoys me too, scheduled for fixing.

Piotr