gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] REQ: F2 toggle filename selection in rename dialog

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] REQ: F2 toggle filename selection in rename dialog
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 02:33:28 +0200

nEJC:
> > F2 doing the same as SHIFT+F6 here: Rename.
> >
> > Should there be a difference ?
>
> No - same thing.
> F2 is used in many apps to do rename - from the top of my head -
> Nautilus and Windows Explorer, TotalCommander from the windows world ...
> but there are definitely others.

Yes, i remember Windows Explorer. Just used it a few months ago, 2007 or so.

Indeed, F2 is used common for renaming. Except for Midnight Commander. Which
tends to become a saurus in the age of multimedia 3d desktops (but not in the
server administration world, without which all 3d desktops would finally be
totally boring)

> I think of it as an unwritten/defacto standard.

We'd need a kind of survey to decide that. So i warped a short search, and my
#1 idea was
http://wiki.openusability.org
which however shows a blank screen, and i had a hard time to do any useful
search on that site.
So much for that :)

As usual, good ol' wikipedia has at least something:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts

Formal aspects:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/default-keys-spec

And a windows survey http://www.wdell.com/keys

Well i really won't care which keys if only the issue would be settled, finally.

ps. mc has both Shift+F6 and F8 for delete...let's forget about that.