gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] TODO

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] TODO
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:13:01 +0200

* Splitting/merging files

> If merging other files was meant, then please can someone explain for
> what purpose ?

splitting:

    split --suffix-length=3 --numeric-suffixes --bytes=1m myfile myfile.

merging:

    cat myfile.* > myfile

* Write configuration and bookmark changes immediately to file

> It's a problem with several instances running, and would be more
> effectively solved if Tabs could be realized, because then there would
> be no need for several instances anymore.

Agreed, should be resolved if switched to GConf, but not the high
priority...

* Optional deleting to .Thrash

    s/\.Thrash/.Trash/

Fixed, rev. 2532

* Support for file meta tags (exif, iptc, icc, mp3, vorbis, *ml, ...)

Removed, rev. 2532

* Unmounting a device via device button

Not implemented yet.

* advrename & FAM: do not re-sort file list for every single renamed
file

> Solved ?

No, but it'll become irrelevant after migration from GtkCList to
GtkTreeView

* User defined categories for grouping bookmarks

> I actually lost what this was about. Virtual bookmark folders, like in
> firefox? Would be nice to include some little hint right in the TODO.

Fixed, rev. 2532

* Editing remote files

> Where is that needed ? Hmm i'm working with NFS and Samba and at least
> there, AFAICS, it works. Of course it depends on how the server is
> configured.

remote = accesible via ftp/ssh/webdav. Currently it's possible to view
remote files, but not to edit them...

* Optional file deselection after completed action (copy, rename, ...)

> And what's this good for ... ?

User requested feature - I guess for compatibility with other file
managers

* More plugins:

> ... but let's continue the plugin discussion in it's own thread, some
> day (or year) ...

Agreed ;o)

* One instance mode

> ... is that = about Tabs ?

It refers to one/multiple instances running. I've already done some
coding, for the brave ones I'm attaching link to the patches:

http://gcmd.rootnode.net/patches/gcmd-instance-1__options.patch (GUI)
http://gcmd.rootnode.net/patches/gcmd-instance-2__unique.patch  (core)

It's still at alpha stage, but gives some preview. The patches
introduce the new dependency (unique-1.0 lib + dev) to the gcmd - this
is the reason I'm not quite happy with the solution and I keep them in
the waiting-room

* File names filtering

> Solved by search ?

No, it is not working properly at the moment. It should filter out all
files not matching the pattern

* Brief file listing (see mc)

> ... or saving custom columns profiles which can be switched by
> one-click on a drop down menu field ?

This is the feature I miss too...

* Thumbnail listing mode

> = image previews and mimetype icons ?

ack

> I'm pretty unsure if that's the proper way gcmd, a 'text' style 2pane
> manager. It's the way of graphical filemanagers like nautilus, and
> already pretty much advanced there. Why would we even try to go there?
> It's straightforward to stick with pure text, and core functionality
> instead of eye candy.

Yet another user feature request, as a workaround gcmd can open Nautilus
with cwd ;o)

// Internal viewer

> There could be always done much to intview, but there seems to be no
> priority so far, and i agree with that. it's definitely good to have
> the intview, though. But anyway any internal viewer is exactly the
> border where a filemanager is leaving to be a file manager.

Agreed, it'd be nice to have more polishing of intviewer, but it is not
of the highest priority on my list

// Documentation

* Help button for every dialog

> This could be the little '?' of some apps which always gets redirected
> to the help for the feature that user 'activated' lastly. Anything
> else should be solved by (optional) balloon help, IMHO.

It's rather matter of providing more docs for gcmd. Adding help button
pointing to the relevant chapter is very trivial

* Light version of gc (based on gtk+ only - not depending on GNOME)
* Even lighter version of gc (statically linked, based on FLTK
  http://fltk.org/)

I'm afraid it'd be quite difficult to de-gnome gcmd at the moment... It
still uses some gnome features.