gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:32:09 +0100

> > Just use 'Reset' button to quickly set template to $N
>
> *uhm* ..... shame on me ! Believe it or not, i just never tried this one ....!
> ok, so it was solved from the beginning! Fine !
>

> ...well one might ask why didn't i notice this button....maybe because it's
> way down at bottom ? How about placing it in one line with the placeholder
> buttons (Dir, File, Counter ...) ? At least, intuitively, i would expect it
> to be there.
>
> Well, and maybe the 'Profiles' button would not belong at bottom too ?
> Howabout putting this up too ? Maybe all in one line: Dir, File,
> Counter...Reset,Profiles ?
>
> Uh, the line gets too long ? Well, then let's put wood behind the arrow !
>
> How about removing the counter input fields right of the template field, and
> put them into a separate second row below the tag buttons, so there would be:
>
> Dir, File, Date, Metatag, Counter ______________ Reset, Profiles
> Counter: Start, Step, Digits
>
> This would make the template field wider, which at least me would welcome
> (cause i use huge fonts).

>From GNOME Human Interface Guidelines 2.2
(http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-dialog.html.en):

        3.6.1. Additional Buttons

        Guidelines

      * Place buttons that apply to the dialog as a whole in the main
        button area row at the bottom of the dialog, to the left of the
        Cancel button.

Both 'Reset' and 'Profiles...' buttons refer to all settings in the dlg,
so they have to be placed at the bottom.

As for counter settings - placing them under the Template doesn't seem
to save any space. Moreover, counters are logically connected to
templates, as they are used in template only. Aligning counter values
with template entry denotes their association with each other.