gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 03:03:24 +0100

Piotr:
> > So...can i somehow apply mtime to the main window too ? (It should be
> > a small hack no?)

> Currently gcmd uses GnomeVFS mtime (time of the last file contents
> modification) in main window and advreame dlg, the patch changes it to
> atime (time of the last file access).

Uhm what ? ...i really like mtime ! Maybe i confused it - i was thinking thet
file name modification *is* a modification (thus mtime) rather than a sole
access.
Uh that gets philosophical...

Anyway, only in case of advremane, i proposed some feedback by showing the
exact time of file renaming - whatever it is...

> Yes, indeed - you can find the patch here:
> http://gcmd.rootnode.net/patches/gcmd-atime.patch

I patched the latest revision 2336, is that ok ?

Works for file-list when editing files with gedit. But the file list 'date'
does not get updated by advrename renaming (when hitting the 'apply' button),
and i can't see any time update in advrename either.

btw patch says,

----------
/WERKS/SVN/gcmd-1-3 mi: patch -p1 < gcmd-atime.patch
patching file src/gnome-cmd-advrename-dialog.cc
patching file src/gnome-cmd-file-list.cc
----------

no feedback about success for the second target, cmd-file-list.cc, is that ok ?

> Please apply it in gcmd build dir with: patch -p1 < gcmd-atime.patch
> if you'd like to have your own personalized version of gcmd ;o)

I think i could work that into my auto-update script.

> I'm not going to apply this patch 'mainstream', as for the upcoming in
> 1.2.9 'custom columns' feature. The feature will provide the means for
> customizing the columns layout of the file lists (all std ones +
> ctime/atime/mtime + metatags), so the users will be able to adjust them
> accordingly to the needs.

Yes, great for file list. But still, custom columns seem to be overkill in
advrename...it should start with a sensible default, not too much left to
configure - no ?

> But your request has brought a certain idea to me: starting from version
> 1.2.9 gcmd could use the GnomeCmdFileList widget (the file list from
> main window) for displaying the file results in advrename.

You mean the result after hitting 'apply' ? But that's done anyway (by the
monitor) ? Where's the difference ? Maybe you just mean that advrename shows
the same columns as main file list ?
That's indeed a nice solution.