gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] hotplug devices

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] hotplug devices
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:10:44 +0100

That's exactly why i worked on udev rules, to get around without a gnome
desktop.
I roughly remembered that mount state change monitoring is done by HAL
sub-daemons, and thought that gcmd could do it independent from that.
It's my obligation as beta tester to make it as hard as possible for developers
:)

btw Piotr, i note that gcmd depends on a running xsession. Well, you know, not
anybody has that.
                                :)

> So it is broken by gnome-design so to speak.

Well, it's ok for a gnome desktop to depend on gnome-mount no ?
If you're going to use the gnome-commander without context, you can't blame
noone but yourself.

On Debian, HAL is installed when you install gnome-mount, which is recommended
by libgnomevfs2.0, and that looks like

root      4383  0.0  0.0  24060  1264 ?        S    21:52   0:00
hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sdb (every 2 sec)

Instead of gnome-mount, KDE has pmount but also uses HAL today. The only way i
know to get along without HAL is to write udevrules yourself, or install
usbmount,  which essentially is doing the same, it installs some udevrules.
These are rather generic though, there's no way to configure specific
mountpoints for specific devices (eg, chosen by disk label). That's where i
hooked in. It must be possible to get the device label or the UID or some other
indetifier, and select the mountpoint after that. In fstab, i already use
/dev/disk/by-label instead of the generic device nodes.

Well, if we would count the users who don't use HAL with either gnome-mount nor
pmount....then how much would it be ?

 m°

^^^ Did you ever note this little icon is a muh-muh ? Nobody ever asked !  :)