gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's secu

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's security credentials (3/3)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:18:13 +0100

It works :) great !!

I could revert my config by unchcecking 'use gkd' and work on remote ftp
servers as usual.
Logging into a local server establishs the connection, but it doesn't cd into
the home dir (instead, into the local filesystem root /) and i could not go
there via 'Go' or buttons either.
I can see the connection in 'ps', proftp titles processes nicely like

gast      3551  0.0  0.1 113636  3192 ?        S    15:42   0:00 proftpd: gast
- gandalf.lan1: IDLE
proftpd   3642  0.0  0.0 100784  1784 ?        Ss   11:13   0:00 proftpd:
(accepting connections)

It looks like 'remove connection to gandalf' removes the buttons, but not the
connection, as it is still visible like above. I'm not sure how others do it,
but at least i'm sure there's a 'close' command in ftp protocol :)
I think it would make sense to have something in the 'Unmount:' pulldown list ?

>         commit #1341
>
>         storing remote connections in simpler format

...and probably next users will ask for encryption, and after they got used to
it, want to have all keys managed in one place ;) - well, ok....let's wait for
it !

> That should allow enabling/disabling the usage of g.k.m.

Just to clarify, i use to refer to gnomekeyring daemon (gkd) as it's the
backend gcmd is talking to (i think?), where gkm is the GUI to manage the keys.

I was thinking about a 'give password everytime anew' feature where you would
not store  the password, but also don't use gkd. (IRR nautilus also offers some
choice). It doesn't need a password popup, you just could check 'forget
password after gcmd quits' and that should probably also rease any existing
password off the config, because it's meant as a security featrue. What do you
think ?

 m°