gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] some ideas :))

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] some ideas :))
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:50:25 +0200

Antono:
> > Is it possible to integrate gcmd with (nautilus|thunar)-actions?
> > Is it topic for freedesktop.org, to have one place to keep actions?

My 2 ct: Yes.

Piotr:
> What (nautilus|thunar)-actions are interested in most?

I think he means the nautilus 'Scripts' (but correct me if i'm wrong) which are
shell scripts placed into a dedicated folder ~/.gnome-2/nautilus-scripts. There
are a few environment variables passed to them, mainly, pwd and selected files.
You can invoke the scripts with rightclick menu.
It's basically the same as gcmd has, but while gcmd allows for configuring
commands directly (storing them with special syntax into the fav-apps file),
nautilus is restricted to the scripts, and you also can't manage them from the
GUI - just all the content of nautilus-scripts is displayed, no sorting for
example.
It's very easy to invoke these scripts from gcmd, you just configure the path.
However, the nautilus environment variables are not set by gcmd (it uses $1
only AFAIR).
It would be a great enhancement if gcmd could set the same variables as
nautilus, not only because scripts can be reused, but mainly because of more
usability.
The next step would be to shift the folder to a common (freedesktop) place, but
that's a long road.

I propose to create your own folder, maybe under ~/.local/share, and make
nautilus-scripts a symlink, so that you won't delete your stuff if you
reinstall the gnome-session.
For the time being, you would call a little 'proxy' script from every script,
which checks frome where it was called, and sets the nautilus environment
variables and $1 correctly itself, so that every script would work for both, be
it for nautilus or for gcmd.
Lets' call it 'gcmd-nautilus-adaptor' ;)

> need terminal just run your command from cmdline with SHIFT+ENTER

Or even only SHIFT+ENTER to just open a terminal