gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 01:44:42 +0200

Piotr Eljasiak wrote:
I've tested it on Power Point presentation *.pps. Both Nautilus & gcmd
detect its MIME type as application/vnd.ms-powerpoint and suggest to
open with 'Presentation', but the script gives application as
'Word_Processor'. Who's right?

gcmd does not pass either filename or extension, only the
mimetype as gcmd recognize it. So, i suspect that you
have run the script standalone, right?

I have made some further modifications since i managed
to find yet another database on my system containing
mimetypes, i think i have to do some rewriting...

There are:
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
/etc/file/magic.mime
/usr/share/mime/subclasses
There are also some related files in /usr/share/gconf...

This is a mess!

If you pass it a filename, then "file" does the mimetype checking,
but "file" do not allways report the same as gnome-apps do.
Yea, i do also wonder whos right.