gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: volume label

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: volume label
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 00:46:23 +0200

That's more a general problem, as you know, for example with advrename.
So what *should* it look like ?

A possibility could be, always to show progress bar, and update filelist only
after all operations are complete.

I should mention there's a problem with copying large amounts of files, which
appears with mc if some files could not be established.
I think i had that mainly with copying to vfat where filenames or symlinks or
what the heck else could not be created. Another example, NFS can cause network
overload (though NFS4 is solid as rock but it's designed for enormous
throughput) especially when sending many inodes.

Then mc will ask you one after the other, whenever a single problem occurs, and
stops until you enter your decision, no matter it drives you crazy.

ok, there's the 'skip all' option. But then how do you identify the problematic
files later, for manual processing, without some inconvenient shell magic.

Which got me to the idea that a safe filenmanager would offer a kind of 'dry
run' or 'preview' where you can see what will happen, without actually writing
to disk.