gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Confirmation Dialogs

From: Michael Meier
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Confirmation Dialogs
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:03:35 +0100

Hi Micha

Thanks for your answer.

>> But usually (90%) when that happens I want to overwrite this file. So I
>> think it
>> would be more convenient, if by default the replace button would have the
>> focus.
>
> There are many who expect that they can't screw up or delete anything
> when choosing the default action (=just hitting enter).

But the user interface is inconsistent according to that.
When you want to delete a file, the default Button is "OK" and not cancel. While
by overwriting a file the default button is "cancel". It should be at least
consistent even if it doesn't resembles what I would like to see. ;-)
In other file managers (mc, total commander) the default action for the
overwriting confirmance dialog is "replace", and it seems to work quite well.
In general I would say if I do a action on my filesystem I WANT to do this
action. It's nice to have some extra warnings but I should be able to discard
them as fast as possible.
Maybe one could let the user choose what he would prefer?

> A safe alternative is demonstrated by KDE, they always ask for the specific
> action
> and then perform it without further questions. This is touchpad-safe ;) but
> requires
> you to always click a choice.

What is ok and I think also gnome-commander behaves like that for most action.
In gnome-commander you can also choose in the settings for certain actions if
you want a confirmance dialog for it or not. Unfortunately the drag'n drop
action is missing there.

>> - In the overwriting confirmation dialog nothing happens when I click the x
>> in
>> the right upper corner.
>
> Yes you're right. Strictly seen, this action is rather 'undefined' and
> personally
> i see it as advantage to have it disabled.

In the Delete-Dialog in gnome-commander clicking the X is the same as clicking
cancel.
As far as I know almost all applications I use react like that.

Michael