gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] GNOME Commander 1.2.2

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] GNOME Commander 1.2.2
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 14:02:20 +0100

It's not fully identical, but you can setup a test server on your PC
exclusively for gcmd :) and access it from the laptop, all linux.
But i admit i would not run Samba if not for win machines.
NFS is at least 3 times faster, at least for large files, and has (by
definition)
all filesystem features. I don't know about integration with LDAP though,
until now, and OTOH NFS has all disadvantages of mountd (eg, it stucks
if the server gets unreachable inbetween a session but maybe that's
only about my limited knowledge.) What i try to say is, Samba can be
useful in a pure linux too, eg. you can easily drag and drop files or links
on a desktop device icon, and Samba is very well managed by KDE and
Gnome (automounting, network detection, accessible from all choosers).

 m°