gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Internal Viewer Features

From: A. Gordon
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Internal Viewer Features
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 00:31:28 +0300

Micha wrote:
| > Clicking into one of the fields (text or hex) should automatically
| > focus that input field.

It doesn't, here.
I'll look into it.
Or the interpretation (mode) just can depend ont he active view mode ?
I like the idea that searching the file is independent from the way it is displayed. You can display a hex dump (or binary view) and still look for text strings... If it helps, I can make the default mode of the radio list (text or hex mode) depend on the active view mode.
Anyway. what's the differenc if i search for a string "44 49 47 49 54 41 4c"
or for s tring "DIGITAL" - when both strings are displayed, couldn't you
just search the display (buffer) for either of them ?
I don't search the display, I search the file, so what is displayed on the screen is not relevant (implementation-wise, there is no "display buffer" which holds the hex dump as a string, that can be search for "44 49 47").

The difference between hex and text is not big when we're dealing with ASCII, but once you start searching for text with extended characters (in different languages), each character translates into more than one hex byte.

(btw. marking a hex selection is somehwat tricky by now ;)
Please elaborate:
what do mean by "marking a hex selection" ?
If you are in hex display mode and you search for something (either text or hex, doesn't matter) - the found text is highlighted with blue-background on the hex-dump part, and with blue-forground on the text-dump side.

| Not sure I understood that - the search dialog closes when the user | enters the text and clicks the "FIND" button. That's the automatically part.
However, i may discover that i need to finetune my search,
or may just like to proceed with another one.

Currently, you press "CTRL+F" to find something, and then you can press F3 to repeat the same search again without the search-dialog even appearing (or SHIFT+F3 to search backgrounds). If you want to refine your search, you press CTRL+F again, and the search dialog appears (and I will soon make it appear with the previous search text already in the entry-box). So what difference does it make if the search dialog disappears or remains visible ? you still press one key to search again...

Gordon.