gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] new TODO draft

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] new TODO draft
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:43:30 +0100

Micha wrote:
    - shopping-cart for selecting files from different directories
      (can be merged internally into visible file selection at any point
       and then the usual multiple-file actions can be applied)

This could very, very, very useful, in many, many
different ways.

Combine this with a plugin invoking cdrtools and gcmd
has made many cdburning applications obsolete ;-)

Saving current "shopping-cart" could also be useful.
One could have a list of saved "carts", like; all
my pictures of my grandfather (gathered manually or
from an F9 search of IPTC data). Or the music CD
i will burn (or did burn).

I can think of the use, imagine following scenario
(other things developed also):

Searching F9 after IPTC data keyword "grandfather". In the
search-result-list i use the F3 viewer and chose files to
"save in a cart...". Later when my mother comes to visit,
i reopen the saved cart, mark all the files and hit F3
(then F11 for fullscreen) and show her a slideshow with
pictures of her father. Wow!

I can imaginge the saved "cart" as a dir under ~/.gnome-commander
(or configurable) containing symlinks to the real files.
This way it can work with other apps too.