gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Fw: midnight commander

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Fw: midnight commander
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:48:41 +0100

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 22:44 +0100, Micha wrote:
> | There is command line entry box, and you can open a terminal window by
> | pressing SHIFT+ENTER (instead of ENTER).
>

> That is what counts. I can do 'sh SHIFT ENTER" and there it is.
>
> However, maybe Pavel was also thinking of opening a stderr/stdout
> 'monitor/log' console ? That would be always useful, to know what
> happened to any action i do.

Well, have to disappoint you. At the very beginning gcmd has this
feature, but it was abandoned as the concept for it simply didn't run
very well. It was my idea to drop it and the result is as you can see
now . If you want to execute something in subshell, simply execute it
with SIFT+ENTER (BTW Total Commander do it the same way)...

> It's actually a good idea to use C++ - it's better suited for GUI than
> plain C.

It's not the matter of language. gcmd is coded in pure C and this
doesn't hurt its GUI to be clean and fast one ;o) Personally, having
some C++ experiences, I would love to have STL containers in the
project, but I have to be realistic - there is nobody around to port
code to C++...

So we will stay here with what we have - with C. But to ease the pain of
adding new things I plan to add python scripting to gcmd, it's not that
difficult as it sounds... And this allow fast adding these shell-like
features Micha asks for...

> F3 should do something more useful on directories.

For compatibility with mc - F3 over dir can dive into it, What about it?

Piotr