gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Advice on error handling

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Advice on error handling
Date: 31 Oct 2006 12:45:15 -0500

Greetings!  Am looking for some general advice.

Consider the most pathological case, where the user redefines some
system function that is inescapable in the top level loop:

(trace format)
or
(defun read (&rest r) nil)

As far as I can tell, there is no way to construct a generalized
'heap-undo' operation, so perhaps what we want here is 1) some
emergency immutable code to process one command, or 2) and endless
error loop (without abort) in the error handler (i.e. we don't wish to
handle this case within lisp), 3) make these functions immutable 4)
capture the original definitions in lexical gensyms, and reset on
unrecoverable error.

Advice?

Take care,