gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] GCL executing code in data area, makes Win XP "Data Executio

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: [Gcl-devel] GCL executing code in data area, makes Win XP "Data Execution Prevention" nervous
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:22:04 -0600

Hello,

The following was reported to the Maxima bug tracker --
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1577267&group_id=4933&atid=104933
In summary, Maxima 5.10.0 + GCL + Windows XP failed because
Windows complained about GCL executing code in a data area in memory.

Apparently there is a way to disable the complaint, but I wonder
if there is a way to configure GCL (either when it is built or when
it is executed) to avoid executing code in data areas.

I don't have any opinion as to whether it is a good or bad idea
to execute code in data areas. My goal here is just to get
Maxima working on as many boxes as possible. Windows XP
is very popular so if one person reports this problem, chances
are many other people will bump into it.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem.
If the answer is "no, there is no way to reconfigure GCL to avoid
executing code in a data area" that is OK. I just need to know.

All the best
Robert Dodier