gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] (newbie) questions

From: Lelanthran Manickum
Subject: [Gcl-devel] (newbie) questions
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:22:27 +0200

Hello all

This is my first post to this list, so please excuse
(and politely point out) any faux pas I make.

I'd like to (eventually) be a contributor, but right now
I'm merely a newbie in need of a haircut and could
use a few pointers in the right direction (some
hand-holding
with the more esoteric bits won't be refused either).

I will (when I get around to it) eventually try to checkout
the cvs head.

Right, a few questions:
0. How ansi compatible is gcl anyway; is there a list of
   unimplemented ansi-isms?

1. gcl-2.6.7 will not build on my slackware 10.2 box with
   --enable-ansi (but will build without it).
   gcl-2.6.6 will build on the same machine with or without
   --enable-ansi.

  The build process for gcl-2.6.7 actually runs for many
  minutes before it finally dies (lost the error msg,
sorry).

  So, I decided to play with 2.6.6 instead, which lead to
my
  second problem.

2. gcl-2.6.6 will not build on my windows XP+mingw+msys
   machine with --enable-ansi (but it builds without it).
   I've not yet tried 2.6.7 on my windows machine[1].
   (Yes yes, I've removed the
-fno-zero-initialization-in-bss
   flags from every single place that grep found in the
   original sources).

   The error message is:
   Error: What kind of instance is this?
   Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for
debugging
   Error signalled by FIX-EARLY-GENERIC-FUNCTIONS.
   Broken at COMPUTE-DISCRIMINATING-FUNCTION.  Type :H for
Help.
   PCL>>for i in gazonk* ; do j=$(echo $i | sed
's,\..*$,,1');\
              cat $i | sed "s,$j,pcl_$j,g" >pcl_$i && rm
$i; done
              gcc -Wall -DVOL=volatile -fsigned-char -pipe
-mms-bitfields -O3  -march=i386
 -I/c/temp/gcl/gcl/gcl-2.6.6/o -c pcl_compat.c -o
pcl_compat.o
              gcc.exe: pcl_compat.c: No such file or
directory
              gcc.exe: no input files
              make[1]: *** [pcl_compat.o] Error 1
              make[1]: Leaving directory
`/c/temp/gcl/gcl/gcl-2.6.6/pcl'
              make: *** [unixport/saved_pcl_gcl] Error 2

I'm assuming that I missed something with these two
problems
(they are very similar), or is this simply a problem thats
not
documented?

3. Like I said above, I'd like to contribute to gcl
"improvement"
   (translation: "It doesn't have what I need, but I'm
prepared
   to attempt to add my needs in"), but don't know where to
start.
   Is there a howto for adding functions (written in C) to
gcl
   somewhere that might possibly be of any help? The build
process
   itself is hairy for someone like myself (new to lisp)
but
   gcl looks to be the most c-friendly lisp I've used yet
   (used cmucl, sbcl, clisp).

4. My compiled application (simple hello world) comes to
around
   13M. This is awfully large (well, its certainly a first
for me)
   for an executable, isn't it? Should I care about the
size
   (i.e. will the size grow exponentially when I start
adding
   more functions, or is that the size of the lisp
runtime?).

5. The licence. I've not found a license file in the 2.6.6
source.
   The COPYING* file says "gnu library general public
license";
   is this the same as the GPL? If (as I suspect) this is
GPL,
   than what are the implications of me developing an
application
   and distributing the executable? If I want to
compile->load->save
   and distribute the resulting executable, does that mean
that my
   application itself has to be GPL (I suspect that it
does, as
   the executable basically seems to have the gcl-runtime
tacked
   onto it). As regards contributing to gcl proper (see #3
above)
   I feel happy about making my contributions GPL, but I
cannot
   see many clients of mine being happy with having to
distribute
   source if they redistribute my application, so clarity
on this
   is very important (non-legalese?).

NOTES:
   [1]
   alas, in my short-sightedness, I removed the gcl-2.6.7
   tarball when I thought that I could not use it, and will
   only re-download when I have the bandwidth (my 33600
modem
   is currently saturated, but such is the life of dial-up
   internet users).

Kind regards to all
Lee

ps. The contributions I'm thinking of making are
opengl+glut
wrappers. How are contributions added in? I guess what I'm
trying to determine is what are the rules for contributed
code (i.e. "Code that does something we already do won't
be accepted", or "Functions to render 3d-ascii-porn won't
accepted on grounds of taste", or "Well, we just don't like
you, so reject this submission", etc).
For super low premiums, click here http://www.webmail.co.za/dd.pwm

http://www.webmail.co.za the South African FREE email service