gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] RE: On statically linked Axiom (was: static lisp and rpms)

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Gcl-devel] RE: On statically linked Axiom (was: static lisp and rpms)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:26:39 -0500

Tim,

I have already completed a build with --enable-static.
However to get things to work I did two things:

1) I replaced the gcl-2.6.1 tgz file in zips with the
more recent gcl-2.6.1-16 source from Camm's temporary
debian site. Since Camm had provided a patch in the
new version to handle readline in the static case.

2) I upgraded my gcc compiler to version 3.3.2 (the
newest version) since other emails also indicated that
there were possible problems with older versions of gcc.

It now seems to work.

I was about to upload a binary to the files section for
others to try (since I only have RedHat Linux boxes here,
moving the static binary between them is not a real test),
but then Juergen pointed out that we still have three
missing algebra files, so I decided to include those files
before uploading the new static binary.

I will also proceed as you suggest and modify the
Makefile.pamphlet to include a linux-static chuck, however
I have to think about this a bit more since the change to
the GCL configuration option is done in the lsp/Makefile.
So I think this means that it will have to be controlled
by the GCLVERSION environment variable. E.g. maybe

  GCLVERSION=gcl-2.6.1-static

and then it will use that to pull the right chunk
out of the lsp/Makefile.pamphlet. Right?

Cheers,
Bill Page.