gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Beginner: Trouble with CLOS

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Beginner: Trouble with CLOS
Date: 16 Oct 2003 22:09:56 -0400

Greetings, and welcome to GCL.  Please don't worry about questions you
consider basic -- we are all in the learning mode here.

The Debian GCL package ships two lisp 'images', one mostly complying
with an earlier Lisp language specification known as CLtL1, and a
'work in progress' ansi build aiming to comply with the later ANSI
Lisp language standard.  The former image is run by default.  The
latter can be selected by setting the environment variable GCL_ANSI to
any non-empty string before invoking GCL, e.g.

GCL_ANSI=t gcl

If you plan on making heavy use of CLOS, I would advise trying out the
gclcvs (2.7.0) package from Debian unstable.  Significant work has
been put in in this regard, and it is hoped that when the 2.7.x series
is stabilized, gcl will be largely ansi compliant.  The gclcvs and gcl
packages can be installed simultaneously without conflict.  So for
example you might want

GCL_ANSI=t gclcvs

Take care,